• Protecting Your Rights After a Slip-and-Fall Injury


    If you fall in a restaurant, retail store, or parking lot as a result of the property owner’s negligence, you might be able to secure compensation with the help of a personal injury lawyer in Tracy or Manteca. Since slip-and-fall cases, also known as premises liability cases, are difficult to litigate successfully, it’s important to get in touch with an experienced lawyer right away. Your injury lawyer will give you invaluable guidance to preserve your legal rights after the accident.

    Slip and Fall Cases

    Report the accident right away.

    If the accident occurred in a retail establishment, you should notify the manager or owner before leaving the area. Insist that the manager files an accident report noting the important details of the incident. Request a copy of the accident report for your own records. Your lawyer will need to look at this later.

    Preserve all available physical evidence.

    Physical evidence is crucial in a premises liability case. If possible, take pictures before you leave the scene. Photograph the hazardous condition, such as a wet area of the floor that lacked a caution sign. You could also take pictures of your injuries. Make a note of whether there is a surveillance camera nearby. Ask nearby witnesses to write down their full names and contact information. Later, keep the clothing that you were wearing and do not wash it, especially if it has bloodstains. Preserve all damaged property, such as broken eyeglasses. Keep all of your medical bills and receipts, and retain documentation for all other losses, such as lost wages.

    Get a medical evaluation promptly.

    In severe cases, you may need to be transported to the hospital via an ambulance. Even if your injuries don’t seem to be too serious, you should go to an urgent care center or ER immediately. It’s important to have a doctor document your injuries promptly to add to the evidence that the fall was the cause of the medical problems.

    Do not agree to give a recorded statement.

    You may be contacted by a claims adjuster. Avoid answering any questions and refuse to give a recorded statement. Instead, provide your lawyer’s contact information and insist that all questions be directed to him or her.

  • Deciding How to Leave Assets to Adult Children

    For many people, it’s important to know that they are able to leave a legacy to their children after they die. If you’ve decided it’s time to make your will, you can turn to an estate planning attorney in Tracy or Livermore for guidance. Your lawyer can help you sort through your options for leaving assets to your adult children and other beneficiaries.

    Will and Testament

    Deciding How Much to Give

    If you have multiple children, it may be challenging to divide your estate in a manner you feel is fair. Remember that being fair doesn’t necessarily mean giving equally to each of your children. Perhaps one of your children is a successful entrepreneur who doesn’t have as much need of your gift as another child who works for a nonprofit organization. Perhaps you are estranged from one adult child, but another has been a devoted caregiver for you during an illness. You can also consider whether you truly want to leave your entire estate to your adult children. Perhaps you want to leave gifts for your grandchildren, nieces and nephews, and favorite charities. If you wish, you can explain your decisions in a letter addressed to your loved ones, which can be opened after your death.

    Consider Giving During Your Life

    Leaving a legacy to your adult children can feel personally satisfying, but what if you wish to see your children benefit before you die? Ask your will attorney about planned giving during your lifetime. You may wish to help one of your children start a business or finish a college degree. Planned giving during your lifetime is also a way of evaluating whether your children would handle a large inheritance responsibly.

    Establish a Trust

    Even the most responsible of individuals can make foolish decisions in the wake of a beloved parent’s death. If you’re concerned about your children squandering their inheritances, consider having your lawyer set up a trust. When you transfer assets into a trust, you can place conditions on their distribution. You may wish to set up periodic payments to your beneficiaries. You could even entice a less-than-motivated child to be a productive member of society by matching distributions with the adult child’s income. If you choose this option, your lawyer will recommend allowing exceptions for disability and retirement.

  • What Exactly Is a Personal Injury Settlement?

    When you consult a personal injury lawyer near Tracy or Manteca, he or she may discuss the possibility of a settlement. Your lawyer can negotiate a favorable settlement on your behalf. If you accept the settlement offer, it means that you agree not to pursue litigation in exchange for a certain sum of money. You are not legally bound to accept a settlement. If you reject the settlement offer, your personal injury lawyer can take the other party to court.

    For more information about personal injury settlements, watch this brief video and consult your injury lawyer. The professional featured here explains that a personal injury settlement can compensate injury victims for their medical expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering.

  • Does Having a Trust Mean You Don’t Need a Will?

    Since every person’s estate planning needs are a little different, it’s advisable to consult a lawyer in Tracy or Livermore. A trust is a helpful instrument for minimizing estate taxes, protecting your assets, and maintaining control over the distribution of your assets . However, most people who have trusts will also need to have a will.

    Personal Injury Settlement

    Trusts often do not cover every asset that a person has. Drafting a will is a way of bridging the gap to ensure that each of your assets is handled according to your preferences. In other words, your will complements the functions of your trust to lay the framework for a comprehensive estate plan. As your lawyer can advise you, you can use your will to specify preferences beyond the distribution of your assets. Your will can designate a guardian for your minor children, which will go into effect in the event that you die before your children reach the age of majority. You can also use your will to provide for your pets and to name an executor for your estate.